Ratspeak

Monday, May 02, 2005

Disney Calling

So, I spent a decent chunk of yesterday working with some friends to pick the restaurants that we will be eating at a little under 100 days from now. Yep. Restaurants a hundred days in advance. And that is nothing. I made one of the reservations for that time frame months ago.

Why, you might ask, am I planning a few meals so far in advance? The answer, my friends is Walt Disney World. For all my inherent curmugeonliness, I love it there. It actually has the ability to render me pleasant for extended periods of time. I know that sounds hard to believe, but it is true.

Part of the reason I love it so much is the food. I love food (by the way, if anyone is keeping score, I'm less fat, having lost 5 pounds, and a percent of body fat in the last week - funny, getting off my ass and exercising seems to be helping) . Some of the best meals I have ever eaten were at Walt Disney World. There is a restaurant there, that isn't cheap, but is the only 5 star restaurant in Orlando. It is called Victoria & Albert's. All the waitresses introduce themselves as Victoria, and all the waiters as Albert. It's a prix fixe 7-course meal. This time, when we go, we are eating at the Chef's Table. At least my wife and I are. The meal is so expensive, I'm almost embarrassed. But it includes 7 courses of the best food I've ever eaten, and matching equally exquisite wine selections. But here is the good news: All the rest of the meals we have chosen also promise to be excellent. Even the places I haven't eaten at before look very promising. The biggest challenge in some of these places will be whether to try something new or stick with an old favourite. The Hollywood Brown Derby, for instance, makes an amazing Ahi Tuna. I know that, and I think about it often. But they have so many things on their menu that look great.

My wife hadn't started really looking forward to the trip until yesterday. She also loves the food there, so just thinking about it got her in the mood to go again. We're a little under 100 days to arrival, and I am excited already.

Beyond the food, Disney will be all geared up for "The Happiest Celebration on Earth," a celebration of 50 years of Disney parks (since Disneyland over in California opened). There is all kinds of stuff being set up in Disney World specifically for this. It promises to be quite exceptional.

And hey, maybe while we are there, we'll drop a finger in one of our meals and make a few extra bucks...

2 Comments:

  • I enjoyed my time down south many years ago. The food WAS pretty good, which never made sense to me. You should go to Snopes and look up any Disney legends that might be true for you to check out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 PM  

  • Disney is our guiltey getaway too, probably because we never went as kids. If you're ever in The Brown Derby (MGM) get the vanilla bean creme brule. Best desert I've ever had.

    By Blogger Dave, at 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home