Ratspeak

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Okay, so it was a month-long interlude

The serious interlude lasted a little longer than I thought it would. For a number of reasons. One of those reasons is that I was often doing these updates from work, on my lunch hour. For the last four weeks, we have been fighting a number of issues at work that have made such quaint ideas as a "lunch hour" seem like that night where you had a lot to drink, and you know that some stuff happened, but need friends to verify the reality of it.

The other thing is a struggle I have been having with the very nature of my blog. Those of you who I have sent this link to know most everything about me. The conundrum is what about those who might happen upon it through other means? There are things I'd like to say, but will not, lest the wrong person read them. Some of these thoughts have been consuming my consciousness of late like a hungry dog consumes.... well... anything. (See? I'm trying out similes. Let me know how it's working. I'm still trying to find the correct prosaic voice for this stuff.)

But there are a few things I can discuss that have been fluttering in my field of vision of late:

  1. I'm fat. Weighed myself yesterday. 255.5 lbs and 37.5% body fat. Of course, that was the start of a diet/exercise program that I hope gets me to a point where I am more comfortable. The first part will take some discipline. I hate exercising. I love playing sports, riding a bike, etc. I'm just in no shape to do this right now. So, the discipline comes in just doing Aerobics and such enough to be able to go back to doing that stuff. Maybe before too long I'll be taking a martial arts class or something. Oh, and shut up with that "255? Damn! You are fat!" crap. I know, that is why I am doing something about it.
  2. I'm going to Walt Disney World. Not soon enough. It's about 100 days away (were I doing this at work, I'd have an exact number for you - I have a counter installed there) and I'm going with Reay and Jackie, as well as my wife. I love that place like a virgin loves his beat-off rag. (Okay, that one might have been a little much... I blame National Lampoon's Dorm Daze. There's a guy in that who named his beat-off rag. Remember the fat kid from The Sandlot? He isn't fat anymore. ) The trip ain't cheap, but I know that it'll be worth every penny to me. I just hope that Reay and Jackie find it to be so too. My only concern is that we will be there in early August, and it'll be hotter than Hades. Not to mention some of us just think about going out in the sun and we burn. But, a little caution and everything will be fine.
  3. The Wendy's Finger in the chili lawsuit. This woman is as sharp as a bag of wet hair. Tests were done which showed the finger hadn't been coked at 170 degrees for 10 minutes or however long Wendy's cooks their chili. Does she not have a TV? Everyone out there has seen an episode of CSI. There was no way they wouldn't have discovered that eventually. So now she is under arrest, and the big question is: "Where did that 1.5 finger tip come from? "
  4. Wednesday night movies. A friend and I (the aforementioned Reay) have made a deal with each other - every Wednesday we will go and see a movie. Now, of course, the deal is not such that all other Wednesday activities must be ignored, but we both hold it as a high priority that we do this. And it has been great. Depending on the movie, we have gone just the two of us, or with friends. Either way, I have seen some movies I mightn't have had a chance to otherwise, and had a good time. See, the beauty of the arrangement is that we don't care about other people's opinions. Not even Tracy, my wife, or Jackie, Reay's girlfriend. The arrangement is that we will choose a film, and then pass along an invitation to others, who are given only a yes or no option. No "well, how about at this other theatre" or "could we catch a later show" or anything like that. We simply say "We are seeing X at Y theater at Z time. Would you like to join us?" It has worked out well. I look forward to it. Of course, given item number 1, I'm gonna cut back on the popcorn.
Okay, that is it for this long-ass entry. I'd say I'm sorry about the delay between entries, but I'm not. Hopefully this one will get me back in the habit.

5 Comments:

  • We write when we can, my man.

    You'll succeed in your goal to become less of a weighty individual. I'm working ont his same goal myself. I need to trip a bit so I can kick higher, and I need to work on my endurance so I can do more swimming and running. And how am I worknig on this? Well by swimming and running of course!
    :)

    Keep writing the way you speak. :) It's the best way to go, bud.

    J

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 PM  

  • Right off the top, shut up, you aren't fat. You want me to point you to some fat people, I can do that. Overweight? Sure. You and me both. But don't go getting a complex over it.

    I've started some weight lifting again of late, and will biting the bullet to either get my bike in riding condition or getting a new one. In either case, I'll happily join your face for regular cycling. Until you move to Florida. It'll be harder to manage, then.

    Looking forward to the Disney jaunt. My first, as we've discussed, real "vacation" (vs. "trip"), so we'll have to see if I deem it worthy of the arm and leg.

    And yes, the Wednesday movies rock pretty hard. And I, too, will be cutting back on movie popcorn. Not cutting out, mind you, as it's a part of the movie-going experience I really miss when I don't get any, but maybe we can split a bag, or something. Into separate bags, of course, because... hey... I like you, and all, but I don't want Jackie to get too jealous.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:06 PM  

  • Hey, I am fat. Doesn't mean there aren't people who are fatter, but right now, I have stepped past overweight into fat. But I don't have a complex about it. After all, I can always diet and exercise. I'm way too arrogant to get a complex over having ate a little too much pizza and drank a few too many beers. Besides, there's lots of people out there who are stupid and can't do anything about it. Those folk should have complexes.

    I'll have to look into getting a bike myself. Then, when you move, since we'll be so close, we can cycle together.

    Oh, and the kid from the Sandlot of whom I spoke? He has a website that is all about how great Scientology is: http://www.our-home.org/patrickrenna/ I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    By Blogger Just_A_Rat, at 2:17 PM  

  • Scientology?
    BAH!

    Wouldn't you want to live further apart so the cycling is more productive?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

  • The Patrick Renna site was amusing in it's complete earnestness, is all. And as far as the cycling, I wasn't intending for us to cycle to the other one's house and open the tub of Ice Cream. I just think that whatever cycling we do will be more enjoyable with two of us doing it, which is easier to arrange if we are close, so neither of us is tired by the time we get together.

    By Blogger Just_A_Rat, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home